Sunday, August 28, 2011

Reusable Snack Bags

Normally I post about a Gabbi adventure, but tonight I decided to post about something I did for Gabbi, and the planet.

A couple of weeks ago my cousin, Heather, posted a sewing project on her facebook page and it gave me an idea.  I decided to make Gabbi some reusable snack pouches from material I had leftover from other projects.  My cousin's design was a useful one, but required a surge machine, which I don't have.  Then I remember a design I saw online and decided I could design something myself.  They came out so well, I thought I would share...Enjoy!  

Here is what you will need:
7" zipper ($1.99)
Leftover fabric cut to 15" x 7 3/4" (free)
Utility fabric cut to 15" x 7 3/4" (I purchased 1/2 yard for $2.50 - it was 50% off!!)
Coordinating thread
Pins and scissors
Iron

Cut fabric and utility fabric
Right sides together, stitch ends
Simple straight stitch used

Once these two ends are sewn, turn right side out and iron at seams.  This will make it easier to sew to zipper edge.  Then, with right side out still, sew short sides to zipper so in the end you have a cuff.  To me this is the most difficult part because of width of zipper.  Take your time and if you have it use a zipper foot.  After this step you should be left with the following "tube".

Turn right side in and pin the open sides.  Sew a straight stitch about a 1/4" from the edge.  Be sure to reverse the stitch at ends since this project will likely get a lot of wear and tear.  I also added a zigzag stitch to the edge to reinforce the sides and stop any fraying.
 

Ta Da!!

And there you have it!  A great reusable snack bag that cost less than $3.00 and will last for a lot longer than a whole box of ziploc bags.  Gabbi loved the bag and already put it to use, as a toy bag.  Snacks or toys it can be used for anything.  I also enjoyed using leftover fabric, that was too small for any other major projects.  Certainly beats paying the $8.95 or more on different sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment